Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
www.flickr.com

13 April 2006

Stage2: Greensboro, Georgia

I have arrived in Georgia, after spending the day travelling yesterday. I was glad to leave the wind and rain in Fort Lauderdale, and head here. The days are hot, lazy and Southern, perfect for the heart and soul:-) I am staying on Lake Oconee, with some family friends who have lived in the USA for a long time. It is a really beautiful area, with lots of trees and green grass and spring flowers. Look at the map here, I am about 90 miles east of Atlanta.

We took a trip to a small historical town called Washington, about 45 min away. There are a large number of very old Southern style homes, built in the 1700's and 1800's in the area, which was mainly cotton plantations at the time. We had a look around one of the old plantations, obviously with no cotton and no slaves, but it was interesting to find out a bit about some history I know very little about. I didn't take that many photos as my memory ran out, but will load what I have.

I also had fried green tomatoes and crawfish cakes for lunch, it had to be done since I am in the deep South! The tomatoes are pretty darn good y'all.

Here are some links with photos and information about the area if you are interested, and I will load the photos I have and there will be more on the way.

Click here to see photos and information about Greensboro, it gives you a good idea of what the stunning architecture here is like.

Click here to see images an info about Reynolds Plantation, where I am staying with friends. It is a very wealthy area...
Here is one photo:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home